Thread: Keep it simple
View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2015

I have Beltronics GX65 & RX65 radar detectors and love them both. Their performance has always been very reliable over the years and I've recommended them to numerous friends. Aside from the great performance, I’ve had issues over the years with the suction cup mounting bracket and also the RJ11/phone jack style connection on the smart cord. The small piece of plastic that you have to press on the RJ11 to engage it into the port on the detector easily breaks off, which then makes it easy for the cord to pull out of the detector. Really wish there was a more durable connection style between the cord and the detector.

I've always used the stock suction cup mounting brackets for both detectors. However, they always have issues staying adhered to the windshield in colder temps and recently the pushbutton on my GX65 broke. The button assembly is integrated into the bottom half of the detector so I'm not able to use any suction mount mounts sold by Beltronics, even though I was ready to upgrade to the new Stickycup. The platform mount with the disc pad that Beltronics sells was not a preferred option for me. I was really worried that there weren’t more solutions for mounting until I saw this thread. So happy I found this tip about the non-slip dash pad, grabbed one for $6 at Autozone called the HandStands/Dashboard sticky pad and it works great, just have to remember to shift the pad around once in a while to avoid any UV damage. I may just get the same pad for my RX65 as I'm hesitant to invest the money in a Stickcup in the event that the mounting pushbutton breaks on this unit too.