View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2018

Default Beltronics Setup.msi Freezes, Unable to Complete v1.5.54 Installation Process

Since the spring/summer of 2015, I have had an STiR + system custom installed in both of my cars. Whenever a new version of Detector Tools was released, I would uninstall the old version, as directed, and install the new version of Detector Tools. I never had a problem installing the new versions of Detector Tools. I have used the same HP laptop computer, with Windows 8.1, to perform the installations, since 2015.

On June 23, 2018, I uninstalled the old version of Detector Tools. I downloaded the new files directly from the www.Beltronics.com website. The files were named Setup.exe and Beltronics Setup.msi It did not matter which file I used in my attempts to install v1/5/54, the installation would freeze approximately 3/4 of the way through the installation process.

I called Beltronics on June 24, 2018, and spoke with a customer service technical rep. I related the entire situation to him. The Beltronics technical rep. said for me to use the Beltronics Setup.msi file. He then followed through the installation process with me, as I verbally described what I was doing and what was taking place, right up to the point where the installation process freezes. The Beltronics technical rep. felt that my laptop computer was somehow hindering the installation, possibly due to a firewall setting.

I then called the Geek Squad. A second level agent, who I felt was extremely sharp, proceeded to spend 1 1/2 hours attempting to get the Beltronics Setup.msi file to install v1.5.54. The agent turned off the firewall, and checked numerous other settings, etc. on my laptop. However, each and every time the installation process would freeze after the screen which asked if you wanted to allow the program to make changes on the computer's hard drive. On the next screen, a horizontal blue line would scroll from left to right, then on a second screen the horizontal blue line would only scroll approximately 2/3 to 3/4 of the way across the screen, then it would freeze. I sometimes waited a couple of hours to see if anything would happen after that, but it stayed frozen. The agent originally stated "The downloaded file is insufficient", and later stated, as well as wrote in the session recap notes "Unable to install the program since it is not compatible".

If a super sharp Geek Squad Agent could not get the Beltronics Setup.msi to fully complete the installation process, there is no way that I will be able to get it to work.

When I had spoken with the Beltronics technical rep., I asked if there was any way that I could obtain a file containing the old installation program, or the old version of Detector Tools, the Beltronics technical rep said that the old version was causing problems for some STiR+ users, and that is why a new version 1.5.54 was released. I never had a problem with the old version. It always worked for me.

So, bottom line, I can't go back to an older installation program to install the old version of Detector Tools., nor can I get the present Beltronics Setup.msi to fully complete the installation process in order to have v1/5/54 on my computer.

I have now come to the end of obtaining Defender Database Updates, unless anyone has any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions. which I would surely appreciate.