Beltronics Radar Forum  

Go Back   Beltronics Radar Forum > General > General Detector

Notices

Old October 12th, 2012

Exclamation New Jersey State Trooper using POP RADAR, (confirmed) I Drove by trap multiple times

I want to apologize in advance if I'm telling you guys something you already know, I haven't had much time to be online this year so I'm not that up to date with the latest on what type of radar are being used out there by police.

Anyway, two nights ago I was on 295 North & South, in Southern NJ from exits 28 to 36 and then 36 to 28 coming back home from Cherry Hill Mall. On the way there my 9500ix was quiet, but on the way back, the 9500ix goes NUTS with POP for a good 5 to 10 seconds right before I pass exit 32 , but then it goes away & the radar is quiet again. I'm thinking "it must be a false, or maybe the 9500ix is acting up or something". Well about 10 seconds later it goes NUTS again alerting to POP, and guess what I see, an unmarked Dodge Durango state trooper sitting on the side of the road with his foot on the brake (tail lights were lit up bright red, ready to pull out, that's usually how they sit here in south NJ). I thought they couldn't use POP Radar or something?

Just to make things clear, I went past the same EXACT spot 2 more times just a few hours ago (while the cop obviously wasn't there anymore) and the 9500ix was quiet and didn't alert to anything. If anyone is wondering how I know it was definitely an unmarked state trooper, well I've lived in South Jersey for basically 20 years, and trust me when I say I've seen it all. The NJ State Police (Troop A) Bellmawr Station is right by my house and I pass by it almost every day. And I've seen the Bridgeton, NJ Station, You can clearly see all the cars they have, and I see these unmarked Durangos pulling people over on the Turnpike all the time, especially during fall/winter months. Even before I got my license, driving around with my parents & older brothers made me very used to seeing all the troopers unmarked & marked vehicles. They have at least 5 unmarked durangos, from Navy Blue to white & black.

Anyway, I made an account on this forum just to make this post lol and to let you guys know that I think you should keep the POP setting ENABLED on your detector, especially if you live in NJ, that's just my opinion. And yes i know I talk a lot, that's a habit lol sorry about the long essay

Mods: Sorry for posting this in multiple sections, I wasn't sure which one would be the appropriate area. Please move and combine all threads into one if you need to. Thanks.

Last edited by BimmerE92; October 12th, 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old October 12th, 2012
Official Beltronics Rep

Glad to hear that your Passport 9500ix alerted well in advance! Not sure why you posted it here in the Beltronics forum. We manufacture Passport detectors also so it's no big deal.

I'm curious if it would have alerted to Ka there if you had POP disabled. Just because you get a POP alert does not always mean that POP mode was actually being used. Many times you will get a POP alert to normal Ka 33.8 radar use, and most often to nearby leaky detectors. Basically, with POP enabled if the detector sees the slightest signal on 33.8 then it will alert as POP. POP bursts are only .032 seconds so there is not much time to process the signal before alerting.

No matter though, you were alerted in advance and at the end of the day that is all that counts. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Oh and I only see your post once on this forum.

Tags
police, pop, speed trap