Beltronics Radar Forum  

Go Back   Beltronics Radar Forum > Custom Installed Detectors > STi-R & STi-R Plus Remote

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2016

Default Updating Bel Stir Plus

This may be a basic question, but I am stuck. I searched and can't find a solution. Basically I am trying to update my custom installed Stir plus. The installer left a usb port where I could access it to connect the computer. The port is what I call a printer port. I plug a usb cable with a printer port into that, and the other end into computer. The detector tools recognizes the detector (correct serial number etc.) When I go to update all, I get the instruction page (turn off car, press power and mute, wait for (detector)connected (serial number). What I get in the box is the name of the detector as I expected, and the (serial number). I don't get the word "connected" and when I hit okay, it simply cycles back to the beginning page. Am I not holding the power and mute button long enough, is something else going on, or perhaps the word "connected" isn't actually suppose to appear between the name of the detector and the serial number. Can anyone help?
Old May 22nd, 2016

Hi rdl0100,

A year ago, when I had the Beltronics STiR Plus system installed in both of my cars, I encountered problems when I tried to either "Update All" or in just trying to update the system's firmware. I was told by the Beltronics Pro, on this Forum, that there has not been a firmware upgrade released for the STiR Plus in many years. He also told me not to use the "Upgrade All" function. I don't remember if a specific reason was given, I just remember that it could possibly screw up the system.

So, the only thing I do is every week or so I perform an Update to the Defender Database, which has the Red Light Cameras, Radar Trap, etc. locations. I have never had a problem since.

Don't be concerned about trying to update the firmware of your STiR Plus. It has been the same for years, as I said above.

One point I found out when I was running into problems, make sure that you are using a laptop or computer that has USB 2.0 ports. Connect one end of the "printer" cable to the USB 2.0 port on your computer, and connect the other end to the USB port of your STiR Plus, or to the cable coming from your STiR Plus CPU.

If you have a computer that only has USB 3.0 ports, like my laptop has, you must purchase a USB 2.0 hub. Plug the USB 2.0 hub into your computer's USB 3.0 port, then connect the "printer" cable to the USB 2.0 hub. It should work with no problems.

I know I have not EXACTLY answered your question as to the specific steps to be used to update the firmware on your STiR Plus, but don't worry about it. Actually, forget about it. Unfortuntely for those of us who own STiR Plus systems, I have been informed that the STiR Plus's processor cannot handle any more functions, and that there may never be a firmware update released for the STiR Plus in the future.

Hope this helps.
Old May 23rd, 2016

Default Updating

Thanks, that does help a lot. I've checked and my computer only has USB 3, so I will have to scrounge around and find one of my old units. I appreciate the response and the help
Old May 24th, 2016

rdl0100,

Good Luck in updating the Defender Database when you either obtain an older computer with USB 2.0 ports, or purchase a 2.0 Hub to connect to your computer. Let me know how things go after you try to perform the Defender Database update.

I remember I had all sorts of problems using the 3.0 ports on my new computer, but everything went smoothly when I used the 2.0 Hub plugged into one of the 3.0 USB ports on my computer.